The rainy season is approaching, and many of us commute in morning and evening darkness during the winter months. Vehicle safety should be your number one priority.
Even the most defensive drivers may find themselves in the unavoidable fender-bender. In my clinic we see a number of great drivers in this situation. Unfortunately the ones that are injured the most are those who did not cause the accident, usually those who have been rear-ended.
What do if you have been in a car accident:
1) Always collect as much information as possible at the site of the accident. Camera phones come in handy because you can take pictures of the involved party’s drivers license, insurance card, vehicle damage, and even witness information.
2) Think of your health and safety first. A trip to the urgent care or emergency room is recommended to evaluate injuries. It is common for people to feel ok right after the accident due to adrenaline release. Most people progressively feel the injuries worsen 1-3 days after the accident. HEALTH CARE COSTS INCLUDING CHIROPRACTIC AND MASSAGE ARE COVERED BY AUTO INSURANCE WHEN MEDICALLY NECESSARY FOR TREATING INJURIES RELATED TO AUTO ACCIDENTS.
3) Keep a copy of the police report (if the police were there) for your own records.
4) Report the accident to your insurance carrier, regardless of who is at fault. Keep the claim information for your records.
5) File a DMV accident report within 72 hours of the accident, regardless of who is at fault. Keep a copy for your records.
6) FEEL BETTER! If you are experiencing pain or discomfort associated with the car accident keep a journal of the areas of pain, the intensity of pain, and when the pain began. This will help your chiropractor provide the most effective treatment. The sooner the treatment begins the sooner the treatment can help.
Chiropractic care benefits patients injured in car accidents in many ways:
-Increase in range of motion
-Decrease in muscle tension/stiffness
-Decrease in headaches
-Improves ability to sleep, stand, sit, walk, and many other activities affected by pain
-Increase in tissues healing with strains and whiplash
-Decrease in nerve impingement and irritation
-Aligns the body for proper repairs
-Reduces muscle imbalance for prevention of future pain episodes
Want to speak with a chiropractor? Free consultations are always an option, in person or by phone.
Schedule online at www.TrueBalanceChiropractor.com
Call (503) 481-0225